Braces Care Tips to Avoid Landing on Our Naughty List This Season
Because an “orthodontist on the shelf” would be a little too strange, we at Pure Orthodontics have supplied a list of suggestions for orthodontic patients. If you abide by these guidelines, you’ll be able to continue working toward your smile goals this holiday.
Our Tips for Patients Undergoing Orthodontic Treatment This Season
- Don’t chew ice – This is a good rule for everyone, not just those in orthodontic treatment. Chewing ice can crack and chip teeth, slash gums and increase tooth sensitivity. For braces patients, ice is capable of wreaking havoc on brackets and arch wires.
- Don’t skip brushing – Braces provide a spot for plaque to accumulate and hide. That’s why it’s important to brush teeth with a soft bristled toothbrush (these reach between brackets better) for two minutes after every meal.
- Don’t bite things that weren’t meant to be bitten – Fingers, pencils, pens, tape…if it’s not food, don’t even try it. Often habitual, chewing such items can damage wires and necessitate an emergency appointment, not to mention introduce a host of germs to the mouth. Try to refrain from this bad habit.
- Don’t eat taffy – Ever.
- Don’t eat carelessly – We understand tearing apart tough breads, slicing the corn off the cob and slowly chewing meat grows to be annoying, but a bit of discipline will help you achieve your smile goals. Think about what you eat, and don’t hesitate to cut food into smaller, bite size pieces.
- Don’t use unwaxed floss – Unwaxed varieties easily shred on brackets, which makes for a frustrating dental hygiene routine. Purchase waxed or orthodontic floss, instead. Carefully weave under arch wires and gently wiggle between teeth.
- Don’t miss out – There are tons of great braces-friendly treats just waiting to be enjoyed this time of year. Feel free to indulge in soft, freshly baked cookies, ice cream, soft brownies and hot chocolate. A nice cold glass of eggnog may even help soothe soreness caused by your braces. Just be sure to thoroughly brush your teeth afterward.
Don’t Give up on Your Treatment Goals
Whether it’s with self-ligating clear braces, lingual braces, Invisalign or Invisalign Teen, orthodontic treatment can help you achieve the smile you want. A slightly prolonged dental hygiene routine and a short time without sticky candies will be well worth it. For more information, or to schedule a consultation, we encourage you to contact us today!
Happy holidays from all of us at Pure Orthodontics!