5 Great Reasons Why Adults Should Get Orthodontic Braces
5 Great Reasons Why Adults Should Get Orthodontic Braces
Orthodontic treatment is traditionally associated with teenage years. However, nowadays, more and more adults are deciding to straighten their teeth via orthodontic treatment. There are various reasons why orthodontic treatment is rising in popularity with adults. We have come to understand that braces aren’t only for kids anymore. After all, age is less important than having the perfect smile.
What is Orthodontic Treatment?
Orthodontic Treatment is the procedure of moving or straightening teeth. It aims to improve a person’s teeth, appearance, and teeth function. It also helps to check the long-term health of a person’s teeth, jaw joints, and gums, by spreading the biting pressure throughout their teeth.
Most people get Orthodontic Treatment because they have crooked or crowded teeth. The treatment helps straighten their teeth or move them into a better position. Orthodontic Treatment also helps improve their appearance and their bite. It may also make the teeth easier to clean.
In some cases, patients have upper front teeth that are sticking out or are looking unsightly. These protruding teeth may have higher chances of getting damaged. However, Orthodontic Treatment can help those teeth move back into line.
Some cases also include fixing how the upper and lower jaws meet to prevent teeth from looking unsightly and leading to an incorrect bite. Orthodontic Treatment can correct those problems. When a person’s teeth are unable to meet correctly, this may cause strain on the muscles in their jaw. This may eventually causes jaw and joint problems, and may occasionally causes headaches. Orthodontic Treatment may help them bite more evenly and alleviate any strain.
How Do Braces Work?
Orthodontic braces apply continuous pressure to a patient’s teeth. It shifts the teeth into a better, straighter position. There are two options for patients who seek to have a healthier smile.
The traditional option uses brackets which are fixed and can only be removed by the orthodontist. The other option involves removable aligners which can be taken out. Orthodontists offer both of these options. They may recommend one method over the other.
When you get your braces, it may take some time for you to get used to them. Braces may cause discomfort or soreness for the first few weeks. The duration of the treatment likely depends on the teeth alignment and the severity of a patient’s bite. In most cases, however, it takes anywhere from one to three years to finish the treatment. Afterwards, the patient will be using a retainer to keep their teeth in their new position.
5 Reasons To Consider Adult Orthodontic Treatment
Here are five common reasons why adults may consider Orthodontic Treatment. This may help you in making a decision whether or not to get braces.
It’s essential to have self-confidence regardless of a person’s age. Having self-confidence is highly beneficial to one’s mental health. It also helps improve your relationship with yourself and others.
2. Your Oral Health
Orthodontic Treatment may help to promote oral health. This may seem unimportant to you because you might think that there are other ways to improve one’s oral health. However, you should know that oral health is a big contributor to your overall health. How?
● Corrects Malocclusion: Orthodontic Treatment is performed to correct a “bad bite.” This condition is known as a malocclusion which involves a person’s teeth that are crooked or crowded.
● Gives you a healthier mouth: Medicating the problem through braces gives you a perfect smile. However, the most important thing is that the end result is having a healthier mouth.
● Makes cleaning teeth easier: Crowded and crooked teeth may make oral cleaning difficult. This may lead to periodontal disease, tooth decay, and possibly tooth loss. After braces, it may become easier to clean straight teeth. This may result in having a mouth that’s less susceptible to periodontal disease and decay.
3. Flexible Treatment Options
Most adults have rejected Orthodontic Treatment in the past because of one simple reason: they didn’t want metal brackets on their teeth.
Nowadays, there are various modern treatment options which are alternatives to metal brackets. Some of these treatment options include invisible aligners and ceramic (clear) brackets. No one may even notice you’re going through orthodontic treatment.
4. Treatment Isn’t That Long
Orthodontic Treatment isn’t that long. In fact, most patients are surprised at how fast their treatment may be. This means less time out of their busy schedule.
5. Your Insurance May Also Cover Orthodontic Coverage
If you have dental insurance, you may be surprised to learn that your insurance plan may cover adult orthodontic treatment. Some people spend many years paying for their dental benefits and yet they haven’t taken full advantage of them!
● Find out what is included in your insurance: Contact your insurance company to determine what dental insurance is included in your coverage. Otherwise, you may have an orthodontic office contact your insurance company on your behalf.
● Ask about payment options: Most orthodontic practices also offer many flexible payment options for treatment. This includes extended payment options, financing, or no down payment. Just ask your orthodontist for flexible payment options to help you budget your money.
Adults nowadays are choosing to get orthodontic braces. In fact, approximately one third of all orthodontic patients are adults. Perhaps some of your co-workers, friends, or neighbors have recently undergone orthodontic treatment.
Most reasons why adults may choose to get orthodontic treatment includes self-confidence, and better oral health. Getting flexible treatment options, insurance coverage, and knowing that orthodontic treatment can’t take that long are all factors that promote adult orthodontic treatment.